SOLVATTEN is a combined portable water treatment and solar water heater system that has been designed for use in developing households. The device uses natural UV radiation to treat water, and units are able rendering of highly contaminated water drinkable (as defined by the WHO safe drinking water standards.  ) in A Few hours, there is Provided Sufficient sunlight.
SOLVATTEN incorporates three water treatment processes: filtration , pasteurization and UV sterilization .  Under optimal conditions, the device can eliminate all pathogenic material in 10-liters of water within 2 hours,  allowing for multiple batches of water to be treated in a given day.
The device is Typically used in situations Where water resources are scarce and prone to contamination, goal aussi It has-been applied in disaster scenarios raised.  The device and its inventor, Petra Wadström, have both achieved recognition through a series of national and international awards.
Design and Usage
Each SOLVATTEN unit consists of two five-liter containers that have transparent surfaces and can be filled with water. The ultraviolet light is highly sensitive to UV light, specifically UV-B, which is highly effective at destroying microorganisms . Water is poured in through an opening of 35 microns to remove larger particles 
Once filled, the unit is placed in direct sunlight, which simultaneously heats the water and exposes it to ultraviolet radiation . The combination of these is an effective means of purifying water and, depending on conditions, the pathogenic material in 2-6 hours. The water is heated to between 55 and 75 ° C,  making it suitable for a number of other household and hygiene purposes, such as washing, bathing and domestic cleaning.
A study has shown that the use of SOLVATTEN is associated with health improvements in communities. It has been reported that it is 100% of pathogenic material from water while it is contaminated, but it is also associated with vitamin D deficiency in children under five years old. 
The study, conducted in Mali, showed that using SOLVATTEN reduced their combustion of firewood and charcoal by an average of 0.5 and 0.9 kg / day respectively.  This had additional economic benefits for the user, with average savings of 15.8 USD / month.  A separate research exercise calculated on the social return on investment (SROI) of SOLVATTEN, which accounts for extra-financial value (eg environmental and social value not reflected in financial accounts) relating to resources invested. In that study, the SROI was calculated to be 1:26, which was calculated for each unit of currency invested in SOLVATTEN, 26 were created 
Awards and recognition
SOLVATTEN was designed by the Swedish inventor and environmentalist Petra Wadström. Wadström has been recognized as one of Sweden’s most prestigious modern entrepreneurs and environmentalists, while the SOLVATTEN device itself has been recognized as a significant innovation. Below is a list of some of the awards received by both Wadström and her invention.
|Sweden’s 100 most influential environmentalists ||Miljöaktuellt||Petra Wadström||2014|
|Sweden’s top 100 women ||Expressen newspaper||Petra Wadström||2014|
|The Polhem Prize ||Sveriges Ingenjörer||Petra Wadström / Solvatten||2013|
|The Energy Globe Award Mali ||Energy Globe||Solvatten||2013|
|Outstanding Achievement Award 2012 ||Sveriges Ingenjörer||Petra Wadström||2012|
|SACC NY Deloitte Green Award ||Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce||Solvatten||2011|
|Änglamarks Prize ||COOP||Petra Wadström||2011|
|Best Green New Product Innovation ||International Green Awards||Solvatten||2011|
|Climate Solver ||WWF||Solvatten||2009|
|Skapa Prize ||Stifelsen SKAPA||Petra Wadström||2008|
- Jump up^ Climate Solver: Solar safe water system
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lundström, H. & Hagström, E. A field study in Kenya of exposure parameters to make water drinkable in the household water treatment unit Solvatten. Uppsala University, Sweden 
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jönsson, J. Wikman, A. & Wätthammar, T. (2011) Social Return on Investment, SROI, the value added for families before and after-using Solvatten in the Bungoma district in Western Kenya. Swedish University of Agricultural Science (SLU), Uppsala 
- Jump up^ Solvatten uses Typhoon Yolanda (in Swedish)
- Jump up^ Solvatten product brochure
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Diop, BS (2012) Sanitary, economic and environmental impacts of Solvatten in the West African peri-urban context: case of Dialakorodji, Bamako (Mali). University of Dakar, Senegal. 
- Jump up^ Sweden’s top 100 environmentalists in 2014
- Jump up^ Sweden’s top 100 women in 2014
- Jump up^ Polhempriset 2013
- Jump up^ The Energy Globe Awards 2013
- Jump up^ Soroptomists Sweden
- Jump up^ NY SACC Deloitte Green Award 2011
- Jump up^ Änglamarks Prize 2011
- Jump up^ International Green Awards 2011
- Jump up^ WWF Climate Solver 2009
- Jump up^ Skapa Priset 2008