Solar Cookers International ( SCI ) is a US based non-profit advocacy group in Sacramento, California , founded by a group of people in 1987 and incorporated on January 6, 1988.  Solar Cookers International advocates for and provides education on solar cooking . 
Solar Cookers International won an Ashden Award in 2002 for their work with solar cookers in Kenya . In August 2006, SCI was the winner of the World Renewable Energy Award. 
Solar Cookers International was founded in 1987 as Solar Box Cookers International. Two American women described as American s serious solar cooker promoters in the 1970s, Barbara Kerr and Sherry Cole partnered with other supporters to form this organization. 
SCI produced and distributed manuals describing construction and use of solar box style cookers. They had been advocating for solar cooking. SCI’s role evolved into networking with other solar cooking organizations worldwide. They hosted forums for dialogue, co-sponsoring three international solar cooking conferences with the University of the Pacific , US, in 1992, the National University of Costa Rica in 1994 and the deemed university , Coimbatore, India in 1997. 
SCI also has a series of solar cooking field projects. Since 1995, SCI has managed or co-managed solar cooking projects in Nyakach District, Kenya ; in the Kakuma refugee camp , Kenya; in the Aisha refugee camp, Ethiopia ; in various communities, Zimbabwe ; and in Dadaab refugee camp, Kenya.
SCI supported the development of the CooKit, a mass-producible, foldable solar cooker in the 1990s. 
Programs and projects
SCI was instrumental in the formation of the Solar Cookers International Network, which is an association of approximately 500 non-governmental organizations and manufacturers, manufacturers, and individuals promoting solar cooking throughout the world. The Solar Cookers International Network wiki  includes over 1700 articles categorized by country, individual, NGO, manufacturer, and solar cooker designs. Also known as heat-retention cooking, water pasteurization , solar food processing , solar food drying , solar autoclaving , and solar canning . The Network maintains a wiki-based website] that allows the network members to share information and experiences at http://solarcooking.org .
International Solar Cookers International Conference held in Granada Spain in 2006. SCI publishes the Solar Cooker Review three times a year. [ quote needed ]
SCI developed the CooKit as an adaptation of a cooker designed by Dr. Roger Bernard in France. The cooker consists of a foil-lined cardboard reflector with a dark pot inside a plastic bag. This simple mechanism converts hundreds of watts of sunlight into heat and can one or two pots of food at a time.
SCI has set up local production of this cooker in Nairobi, Kenya and Sacramento, California. The CooKit is used in many solar cooking projects around the world.
Cardboard, foil foil, and solar collectors have been donated to the Iridimi Refugee Camp and Touloum Refugee Camps in Chad by the combined efforts of the Jewish World Watch , the Dutch foundation KoZon , and SCI. The refugees construct the cookers themselves, using the donation and local purchase of Arabic gum ,  and using them for midday and evening meals. The goal of this project to Reduce Was the Darfuri women’s need to leave the relative safety of the camp to gather firewood, qui em exposed to a high risk of being white beaten, raped, kidnapped, or Murdered.   It has also become much more important than ever before, with the result that they are growing up and growing up for their families and making handicrafts for export. 
- Solar cooker
- Indian Solar Loan Program
- International Renewable Energy Agency
- Kyoto box
- Renewable energy in Africa
- Renewable energy in China
- Solar powered refrigerator
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h ” Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax “. Solar Cookers International . Guidestar . June 30, 2014.
- ^ Jump up to:a b ” People “. Solar Cookers International . Accessed on February 1, 2016.
- Jump up^http://solarcooking.org/Solar_Cookers_International_Association
- Jump up^ “Solar Cookers International”. Business Entity Search. California Secretary of State. Accessed on February 1, 2016.
- Jump up^ http://energy.gov/articles/solar-cookers-bring-hope-earthquake-victimsUS DOE
- Jump up^ http://www.reiaward.com
- Jump up^ “Inventor turns cardboard boxes into eco-friendly oven” . CNN International. 2009-04-09 . Retrieved 2009-11-29 .
- Jump up^ “History” . Solar Cookers International . Retrieved 2009-11-30 .
- Jump up^ “The Simple Cooking Panel That Feeds Tens of Thousands Daily” . Retrieved 25 November 2017 .
- Jump up^ http://solarcooking.org
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Solar lifeline saves Darfur women” . CNN.com. September 17, 2007 . Retrieved 2008-03-06 .
- Jump up^ Sides, Phyllis. Local woman helps keep the spotlight on the crisis in Darfur. Times Journal: Beyond Wisconsin. May 16, 2007, accessed May 29, 2007
- Jump up^ Jewish World Watch. Solar Cooker Project . 2007, accessed May 29, 2007.
- Jump up^ Tugend, Tom. Jewish World Watch Eyes National Stage .Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles. June 16, 2006, accessed May 29, 2007.