The RETScreen Clean Energy Management Software (usually shortened to RETScreen ) is a clean energy software package developed by the Government of Canada. RETScreen Expert was highlighted at the most recent Clean Energy Ministerial held in San Francisco in June 2016. 
RETScreen Expert is the current version of the software and was released to the public on September 19, 2016. The software allows for the comprehensive identification, assessment and optimization of the technical and financial viability of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects; and the performance of facilities and the identification of energy savings / production opportunities.  “Viewer mode” in RETScreen Expert is available in the software. Unlike past versions of RETScreen, however, a new “Professional mode” (which allows users to save, print, etc.) is now available on an annual subscription basis.
RETScreen Suite, consisting of RETScreen 4 and RETScreen Plus, is the previous version of the RETScreen software. RETScreen Suite includes cogeneration and off-grid analysis capabilities.
Unlike RETScreen Suite, RETScreen Expert is an integrated software platform; utilizes detailed and comprehensive archetypes for assessment projects; and includes portfolio analysis capability. RETScreen Expert integrates a number of databases to assist the user, including a global database of climatic conditions obtained from 6,700 ground-based stations and NASA satellite data; benchmark database; cost database; project database; hydrology database and product database.  The software contains extensive integrated training material, including an electronic textbook. 
The first version of RETScreen was released on April 30, 1998. RETScreen Version 4 was launched on December 11, 2007 at Bali, Indonesia by Canada’s Minister of the Environment.  RETScreen Plus was released in 2011. RETScreen Suite (integrating RETScreen 4 and RETScreen Plus with numerous additional upgrades), was released in 2012.  RETScreen Expert was released to the public on September 19, 2016. [ 8]
The program requires Microsoft® Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10; and Microsoft® .NET Framework 4.6 or higher.  Apple Macintosh computers using Parallels or VirtualBox for Mac. 
Examples of use
As of April 2017, the RETScreen software had more than 525,000 users in 222 countries and territories worldwide. 
An independent impact study  estimated that by 2013, the use of the RETScreen software had been responsible, worldwide, for over $ 8 billion in user transaction cost savings, 20 MT per year of greenhouse gas emissions reductions, and has enabled at least 24 GW of installed clean energy capacity.
RETScreen is widely used to facilitate and implement clean energy projects. For example, RETScreen has been used:
- to retrofit the Empire State Building with energy efficiency measures 
- extensively by the Irish wind industry to analyze potential new projects 
- by Manitoba Hydro’s combined heat & power program to screen project applications  
- in a multi-year assessment and evaluation of photovoltaic performance in Toronto, Canada  
- to analyze solar air heating at US Air Force facilities 
- to identify opportunities for energy efficiency retrofits in various Ontario municipalities. 
An extensive collection of articles detailing how RETScreen has been used in different contexts is available on the RETScreen website. 
RETScreen is also used as a teaching and research tool by well-over 900 universities and colleges worldwide, and is frequently cited in academic literature.  Examples of RETScreen’s articles in the “RETScreen newsletter” and “University and College Courses” sections of the RETScreen newsletter, accessible through the user manual in the software download.
The use of RETScreen is mandated or recommended by clean energy incentive programs at all levels of government worldwide, including the UNFCCC and the EU; Canada, New Zealand and the UK; numerous American states and Canadian provinces; cities and municipalities; and utilities.  National and regional RETScreen training workshops have been conducted on the official request of the Governments of Chile,  Saudi Arabia,  and 15 countries in West and Central Africa,  and the Latin American Energy Organization ( OLADE).
Awards and recognition
In 2010, RETScreen International Was Awarded the Public Service Award of Excellence  The Highest Award Given by the Canadian government to icts civil servants.
RETScreen and the RETScreen have been nominated for the prestigious Ernst & Young / Euromoney Global Renewable Energy Award, the Energy Globe (National Award for Canada), and the GTEC Distinction Award Medal. 
An International Energy Agency review of the beta release of the hydropower part of the software described it as “very impressive”.  The European Environment Agency asserts that RETScreen an “extremely useful tool.” RETScreen aussi HAS-been called “one of the FEW software tools, and by far the best, available for Evaluating the economics of renewable energy installations”  and “a tool to … Enhance market consistency” in clean energy worldwide. 
- Renewable Energy
- Energy management software
- Jump up^ “Canada, Mexico and the United States Show Progress on the North American Energy Collaboration” . News.gc.ca . 2016-06-03 . Retrieved 2016-10-20 .
- Jump up^ Clean Energy Solutions Center. “Financial Analysis with RETScreen”(Video) . Youtube.com . Retrieved 2016-10-20 .
- Jump up^ “NASA – NASA Collaboration Benefits International Priorities of Energy Management” . Nasa.gov . 2010-02-24 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Clean Energy Project Analysis, RETScreen® Engineering & Cases Textbook: M154-13 / 2005E-PDF – Government of Canada Publications”(PDF) . Publications.gc.ca . Retrieved 2016-02-24 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – CANADA LAUNCHES CLEAN ENERGY SOFTWARE – Canada News Center” . News.gc.ca . 2007-12-11 . Retrieved 2016-07-15.
- Jump up^ “RETScreen adds energy performance analysis module” . REEEP.org . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International Newsletter – 2012-06-05: Major Upgrade to RETScreen Software” . Web.archive.org . 2012-06-05 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International Newsletter – Coming Soon: RETScreen Expert Software” . Web.archive.org . 2015-01-30 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “RETScreen, Natural Resources Canada” . Nrcan.gc.ca . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – FAQ – Windows / Excel & other”. Web.archive.org . 2015-04-24 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – RETScreen Software: Cumulative Growth of User Base” . Web.archive.org . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Archived – RETScreen International: Results & Impacts 1996-2012″(PDF) . Web.archive.org . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Energy Performance Contracting”(PDF) . Web.archive.org . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Seamus Hoyne Wind Power and Biomass Heating Projects, TEA and Tipperary Institute” (PDF) . Web.archive.org . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Bioenergy Optimization Program” . Hydro.mb.ca . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Power Smart Bioenergy Optimization Program” (PDF) . Web.archive.org . June 2011 . Retrieved 2016-10-24 .
- Jump up^ “Solarcity Technology Assessment Partnership” (PDF) . Explace.on.ca . June 2009 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Horse Palace Photovoltaic Project Pilot: Update Report” (PDF) . Solarcitypartnership.ca . January 2012 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “AN EVALUATION OF SOLAR AIR HEATING AT UNITED STATES AIR FORCE INSTALLATIONS” . Dtic.mil . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Internet Archive Wayback Machine” . Web.archive.org . 2014-08-08 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International Newsletter” . Web.archive.org . 2015-12-22 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ For example, Google Scholar search for RETScreen on 24 February 2016 yielded over 3,600 results.
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Clean Energy Policy Toolkit” . Web.archive.org . 2012-09-21 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – CER Chile Implements RETScreen Training Program” . Web.archive.org . 2014-10-24 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Saudi Arabia Clean Energy Capacity Buildings” . Web.archive.org . 2014-05-02 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Strengthening the Foundations of Clean Energy in West Africa” . Web.archive.org . 2014-05-02 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Public Service Award of Excellence 2010” (PDF) . Ottawacitizen.com . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Archived – RETScreen International – Awards” . Web.archive.org . 2011-02-03 . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “Assessment Methods for Small-Hydro Projects” (PDF) . Ieahydro.org . Retrieved 2016-10-24 .
- Jump up^ “RETScreen Clean Energy Project Analysis Software | Environmental software tools for accounting, carbon footprinting & sustainability performance” . Environmenttools.co.uk . Retrieved 2016-07-15 .