HYDROSOL (short for Solar hydrogen via water splitting in advanced monolithic reactors for future solar power plants ) is a series of European Union funded projects for the promotion of renewable energy . Its aim is the generation of hydrogen using Concentrated solar power with a specific thermochemical cycle .
The Fifth Framework Program for Research and Technological Development (FP5) HYDROSOL project started in December 2002 with a budget of € 2.6 million. A pilot-scale solar reactor was designed,  built and operated at the German Aerospace Center  with a solar furnace facility in Cologne (Germany), “continuously producing” solar hydrogen. 
The FP6 HYDROSOL II is a pilot reactor of 100 kW scale for solar thermochemical hydrogen production at the Solar Plataforma of Almería in Spain , which started in November 2005 and has been in operation since 2008.  
The FP7 HYDROSOL-3D project,  started on January 1, 2010 and ran until January 1, 2013.  The Hydrosol series was conceived and coordinated by the Aerosol and Particle Technology Laboratory of the Center for Research and Technology- Hellas and Ciemat . In 2006, the Hydrosol project was awarded the Descartes Prize by the European Commission for Collaborative Scientific Research. 
In early 2017, the Synlight project at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) was created in the sun.    In an effort to better optimize solar hydrogen production at scale, the electrically powered ‘sun’ is able to provide focussed temperatures approaching 3,000 ° C .
- Cerium (IV) oxide-cerium (III) oxide cycle
- Water splitting
- Jump up^ Kostoglou, M .; Lekkos, CP; Konstandopoulos, AG (2011). “On mathematical modeling of solar hydrogen production in monolithic reactors”. Computers & Chemical Engineering . 35 (9): 1915. doi : 10.1016 / j.compchemeng.2011.03.019 .
- Jump up^ “Solar Energy for Chemical Processes” . Institute of Solar Research.
- Jump up^ Pregger, Thomas; Graf, Daniela; Krewitt, Wolfram; Sattler, Christian; Roeb, Martin; Möller, Stephan (2009). “Prospects of solar thermal hydrogen production processes”. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy . 34 (10): 4256. doi : 10.1016 / j.ijhydene.2009.03.025 .
- Jump up^ “European Commission: CORDIS: Projects and Results: Solar Hydrogen via Water Splitting in Advanced Monolithic Reactors for Future Solar Power Plants” . europa.eu .
- Jump up^ “DLR Portal – DLR” . dlr.de .
- Jump up^ Hydrosol-3D, 3rd Generation Design Study 2010
- Jump up^ Hydrosol-3D Scale-up of thermochemical hydrogen generation in a monolithic solar reactor
- Jump up^ Descartes Prize for Research
- Jump up^ “World’s largest artificial Sun rises in Germany” .
- Jump up^ Devlin, Hannah (23 March 2017). “Let there be light: Germans switch on ‘largest artificial sun ‘ ” – via The Guardian.
- Jump up^ “Hydrogen Production: Thermochemical Water Splitting” . Department of Energy.