The Alberta Solar Decathlon Project was an entry into the 2009 US DOE Solar Decathlon Competition in Washington, DC in October 2009. The team is now one of the 20 teams present.
The Solar Decathlon is a high-profile, international competition in which the world is the most attractive, efficient and energy-efficient solar-powered home.
The event is primarily sponsored by the US Department of Energy and includes 10 individual contests for students and their homes. It takes place in the National Mall in Washington DC The teams ‘houses and the sponsors’ educational exhibits form a solar ‘village.’ The public, media, industry representatives and invited dignitaries tour the homes and exhibits and learn about solar energy, energy efficiency and home design.
The Alberta Solar Decathlon is composed of Calgary’s four post-secondary schools: the University of Calgary, SAIT Polytechnic, Mount Royal College and the Alberta College of Art + Design.
- Mark Blackwell : Project Chair; University of Calgary, BCOMM Energy Management Student
- Matt Beck : Project Manager; University of Calgary, MSc in Environmental Design Student
- Turkish Harmesynn : Construction Manager; SAIT, Graduate
- Whitney Nordstrom : Design Team Leader; Mount Royal College, Interior Design
- Mike Gestwick : Technology Team Leader; University of Calgary, MSc in Environmental Design Student
- Chris Lashmar : Thermal Systems Lead; University of Calgary, Schulich School of Engineering
- Samanta Jovanovic : Sponsorship Manager; University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business
- Solar Hero , a documentary film about the project
- “Let it shine” . Calgary Herald . 2008-06-28. Archived from the original on 2008-09-21.
- “Student-led team unveils new solar home design, more sponsors and new school partner” . University of Calgary . 2008-06-26. Archived from the original on 2012-12-17.
- “Student-led solar home project captures Energy-TV award, solar panels donation” . 2008-06-12.
- “Energy-TV Awards winners honored in style during the Global Petroleum Show”. Energy-TV Awards. 2008-06-11.
- “This time it’s personal” . Unlimited Magazine. 2008-06-09.
- “Juiced on solar power”. Calgary Inc. Magazine. April 2008.
- “Green living in the future” . Calgary Herald. 2008-04-19.
- “Green Power: Solar House Project going to International Competition” . SAIT Life.
- “SAIT students in Solar Decathlon competition” . The Weekly Albertan. 2008-02-08. Archived from the original on 2008-09-21.
- “Calgary schools earn chance to build green” . The Weal. 2008-02-07.
- “Calgary schools to build a solar house” . University of Calgary Gauntlet. 2007-10-11. Archived from the original on 2008-09-21.
- “Students to build solar-powered home” . U Magazine.
- “Solar Decathlon bid launched” . University of Calgary website. 2007-09-28.
- “Schools shine light on solar home plan”. Metro News. September 2007.